Who qualifies for Utilities Allowance

The ‘Utilities Allowance’ is incorporated in the Pension Supplement which is automatically paid to pensioners and other eligible income support recipients with their regular fortnightly payment.

To qualify for Utilities Allowance, a person must:

  • be in receipt of Disability Support Pension (under the age of 21 without children); or
  • be in receipt of Partner Allowance, or
  • be in receipt of Widow Allowance; and either:
    • be in Australia; or
    • be temporarily absent from Australia for a continuous period not exceeding 13 weeks.

The following are also worth noting

  1. If you leave Australia to live in another country, your allowance will stop when you depart.
  2. If your travel is short-term, you’ll get Utilities Allowance if both of these apply:
    • you’re getting your main payment
    • your Utilities Allowance payday is within the first 6 weeks of your travel.
  3. Australia’s immigration department will inform Centrelink or Services Australia when you leave and when you return.

It’s important to note that the eligibility criteria and programs can change over time. I recommend visiting the official websites of the relevant state or territory government or contacting their respective departments responsible for utility concessions and financial assistance. They can provide the most up-to-date information regarding eligibility requirements for specific programs in your area.