Who qualifies for the energy supplement payment

You may be eligible for Energy Supplement if you fall within any of the following categories.

Eligibility basics

  •   receive an income support payment, pension or Family Tax Benefit
  •   are residing in Australia

If you receive an income support payment or Family Tax Benefit from the Australian Government, the Clean Energy Supplement will be automatically added to your regular payment for:

  •   pensioners and most income support recipients from 22 March 2013
  •   Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders who receive Seniors Supplement and Pensioners who receive the Pension Supplement quarterly from 24 June 2013
  •   Family Tax Benefit recipients from 1 July 2013
  •   youth and most students from 1 January 2014, following a second Clean Energy Advance in July 2013.

You may equally be eligible for an Energy Supplement if you receive one or more of the underlying payments:

  • service pension;
  • age pension paid by DVA;
  • war widow(er)’s pension;
  • Disability Compensation Payment;
  • Military Rehabilitation Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) wholly dependent partner payment;
  • MRCA special rate disability pension;
  • MRCA permanent impairment payment;
  • a fortnightly Veterans’ Children Education Scheme (VCES) education allowance; or
  • a fortnightly Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act Education and Training Scheme (MRCAETS) education allowance.
  • You may also be eligible if you hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC), or have reached qualifying age (60 years old) and hold a Veteran Gold Card.

If you are eligible, you will be paid automatically.  The amount of your Energy Supplement depends on your circumstances and the payment you receive.