Can you get a Centrelink payment for ADHD?

In Australia, having a diagnosis of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) alone may not qualify an individual for a specific Centrelink payment. However, depending on the impact of ADHD on a person’s functioning, they may be eligible for certain Centrelink payments and support programs. Here are a few potential options:

  1. Carer Payment and Carer Allowance: If a child or adult with ADHD requires significant care and support, a parent or caregiver may be eligible for the Carer Payment and/or Carer Allowance. These payments are designed to assist individuals who provide care to someone with a severe disability or medical condition.
  2. Disability Support Pension (DSP): The Disability Support Pension is a payment for individuals aged 16 or older who have a physical, intellectual, or psychiatric condition that prevents them from working. To qualify for DSP, the ADHD condition would need to be assessed as severe enough to meet the eligibility criteria.
  3. Family Tax Benefit (FTB): The Family Tax Benefit is an income-tested payment provided to families with dependent children. While ADHD alone may not qualify for FTB, if the condition significantly affects the child’s functioning and requires additional support or treatment, it may be taken into consideration when assessing the family’s eligibility and payment amount.

It’s important to note that eligibility for Centrelink payments is determined based on various factors, including income and assets tests, residency requirements, and specific criteria for each payment. It’s recommended to visit the official website of Services Australia (Centrelink) or contact Centrelink directly to get the most up-to-date information regarding eligibility and available support for ADHD-related circumstances. Centrelink can provide personalized information based on your specific situation and guide you through the process of applying for and accessing the appropriate payments and support programs.