Wced matric results

Western Cape matrics, the wait for your results is over!
How to get your results

  1. On 4 January you can visit theWestern Cape Education Department’s website(available from 2pm onwards).
  2. Go to your high school on 4 January 2019. Results should be available as from 11am (instead of 12pm as originally planned to make it easier for Muslim candidates to attend Friday prayers).
  3. Send your ID number and exam number via SMS to 35658. Both numbers must have 13 digits to be accepted and there is a once-off cost of R3.00 to register. Once registration is completed, results will be delivered by SMS when they are released.
  4. Use the USSD service by dialling *120*35658#. After answering multiple questions,  enter your ID number. You’ll receive your results per subject after you’ve completed the process. You’ll have the option to opt in or out to comply with the Protection of Personal Information Act. USSD rates apply.
  5. On 5 January names of successful candidates will be published in newspapers. You’ll need to know your exam number, which will be used instead of your name.

Angie Motshekga, the Minister of Basic Education, will announce the national results and provincial performance on Thursday, 3 January 2019. 

What’s next?
We congratulate all successful matriculants! If you were unsuccessful, however, there are many options you can consider.
Here are some frequently asked questions to help you take the next step, whether you’ve passed or not:

  1. What are Bachelor’s, Diploma and Certificate passes?

    Bachelor’s Pass means you can apply for a degree course at a university or university of technology and may study for a higher certificate, diploma or bachelor’s degree.

    In order to achieve a  Bachelor’s pass, you must:  
     • Pass 6 from the 7 subjects offered.• Of which 4 Subjects must be at least a 50% (level 4) achievement.• Including Home Language 40% Compulsory Pass /excluding Life Orientation.• 30% Pass in Language of Learning and Teaching (LOLT).• The Department of Basic Education has revoked the list of designated subjects with effect from September 2018.
    • The minimum admission requirements for a Bachelor’s degree programme remain the same, namely, a NSC with a minimum of 30% in the language of learning and teaching of the Higher Education Institution (HEI), coupled with an achievements rating of 4 (50-59%) or better in any four (4) NSC subject except Life Orientation.
    Diploma Pass requires 40% in 4 higher credit subjects, 30% in 3 lower credit subjects, and you may fail 1 subject. With this pass you can enrol for a bridging course at a Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) college or a diploma course at a university of technology.

    To receive a Diploma Pass, a student must: 
     • Pass 6 from the 7 subjects offered.• Of which 4 Subjects must be at least a 40% (level 3) achievement• Subjects include Home Language at 40% Compulsory Pass /excluding Life Orientation• 30% Pass in Language of Learning and Teaching (LOLT)
    Certificate Pass requires a 40% pass in your home language, 2 subjects above 40%, 4 subjects above 30% and you may fail 1 subject. This pass allows you to study for a Higher Certificate.  
  2. I was unsuccessful, what do I do now?

    If you need support, we provide counselling and support on our toll-free line 0800 45 46 47. You could also consider rewriting your exam. This is known as the supplementary exam. You qualify to rewrite if you’ve failed 2 or more subjects.  
     Only candidates who were registered for and wrote the November 2018 NSC examination may apply to write a supplementary exam.2018 Grade 12 learners may register to write the examination if:• they failed to meet the requirements in the November examination;
    • they passed but seek to improve their performance; or
    • they were absent from the writing of one or more question papers due to ill-health or other unforeseen circumstances.Application forms are available at high schools, district and provincial education offices as well as from the website:
    NSC 2019 – June Supplementary Examination Registration formApplication forms may be dropped off at the Education District Office closest to the learner.Applications for supplementary exams close on Thursday 31 January 2019. Visit the WCED website for more information.
  3. What if I want to have my papers remarked?

    To have your paper remarked, you would need to have failed 1 or more subjects in the National Senior Certificate/ABET Level 4 Examinations. However, if you passed, you may qualify after writing a letter of motivation. The WCED provides more guidelines here

    Applications for remarking or rechecking close on the 22 January 2019. No late applications will be accepted and the applications MUST be done online at www.eservices.gov.za

    The cost for remarking is R105 per subject, re-checking is R25 per subject, and viewing of scripts (only after re-marking and re-checking) is R205. You can view the payment procedure here.
      Once you have received your results, AFTER re-checking and re-marking, you may apply to view your answer script.
    Apply to view your answer scripts at Nicole.Faro@westerncape.gov.za with proof of payment.
  4. I want to further my studies, where can I apply?

    There are a number of globally recognised and accredited universities, universities of technology and Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) colleges in the Western Cape. Depending on the type of pass you achieved, you can apply at the following institutions:

    Cape Peninsula University of Technology
    University of the Western Cape
    University of Cape Town
    Stellenbosch University
    University of South Africa (Unisa)
    College of Cape Town
    False Bay College
    Northlink College
    West Coast College
    Boland College
    South Cape College
  5. Where can I get financial assistance for higher education?

    There are many private institutions offering financial support. For bursaries offered by the Western Cape Government, you can visit our bursaries page for more information.