Umalusi Certificate Application

There is much debate about how matric certificates are considered to be valid. And in between these debates, you might have heard the name “Umalusi”. Don’t worry, we’ve got your questions covered. Here we’ll explain Umalusi and your matric certificate: what you need to know. 

Umalusi and Your Matric Certificate: What you Need to Know

Umalusi both sets and monitors the standards for general and further education and training in South Africa. So they make sure that your matric exams have been marked fairly. Want to know more? Find out more about Umalusi and your matric certificate: what you need to know below. 

Who is Umalusi?

There are three quality councils for education in South Africa. These include:

  • Umalusi
  • Council on Higher Education (CHE) 
  • Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO)

As you can see, Umalusi is part of the quality council for education in SA. They are responsible for making sure your matric certificate meets the standards set by the National Qualifications Framework (NQF). When your certificate meets these standards, it becomes accredited. 

Can They Verify all Qualifications?

Umalusi can only verify qualifications if they are registered through the General and Further Education and Training Qualifications Framework. So if you’re doing matric through an adult learning centre, make sure to register for the exams through the Department of Education.

Do I Register for Matric Supplementary Exams Through Umalusi?

No. Umalusi is not responsible for assessments. You will have to register with your provincial Department of Basic Education (DBE)SACAI or the IEB. You will need a certified copy of your ID and your matric certificate or statement of results. 

What Happens if There’s a Mistake on my Matric Certificate?

If there is an error on your certificate, Umalusi will give you a new one. However, they only fix spelling errors. Also, take note that you can only get a new, corrected certificate if you return the original incorrect one. 

If a mistake was made with personal information, such as your ID number, you’ll have to correct it through the department of education.

Can I Still get a Senior Certificate?

The Senior Certificate (SC) was scrapped in 2014 and replaced with the Amended Senior Certificate (ASC). But if you wrote matric before then and lost your certificate, Umalusi will issue you with a new one. Their records for the Senior Certificate date back to 1992.

Do I get a new Certificate After Upgrading my Matric?

Yes, you will have the option to combine your results. This is not done automatically. You have to apply for it through the DBE for an additional fee. Combining your results ensures that your best marks are reflected on your matric certificate. 

I Lost my Matric Certificate. What now?

You can apply for a new matric certificate through the Department of Education, NOT Umalusi. This process takes four – six weeks and will cost you R118. You’ll need:

  • A completed application form
  • An affidavit 
  • Certified copy of your ID
  • Proof of payment

Lost/Replacement Certificate Application Procedures

Umalusi is responsible for the replacement of the Senior Certificate and National Senior Certificate as from September 1992.

NOTE: Applications for lost or replacement certificates must be done directly with Umalusi by clicking here.

To apply for a replacement (in lieu of a lost certificate) of your Matric/Gr12 certificate, the following is required:

  1. A completed application form, which can be obtained at any of the Departments of Education or on the website of the National Department of Basic Education (

Applications forms must be completed taking care of the detail required, e.g. year qualifications obtained, surname and names under which the person qualified for the certificate and where possible the school name.

Applications for lost certificate / re-issues can be done at any of the Departments of Education, irrespective of where you wrote your matric, for example, if you have written the exam at a school in Eastern Cape, you can approach the Mpumalanga Department of Education for a replacement certificate. This statement is in exception of IEB and SACAI, as lost certificates can only be applied from them.

  1. An affidavit – All applications for replacement of lost/damaged certificates should be accompanied by a signed affidavit from a police station stating the status of the original certificate e.g. stolen; lost in a move.
  2. A certified copy of the candidate’s identity document is required. (This copy must be certified by a commissioner of oaths. A copy can be made and certified either at a police station or at an attorney’s office where they should do it for free).
  3. Proof of payment of administration fees – An administration fee is payable with a request for a certificate. The fee payable can be established with the accredited assessment body. The fee is reviewed on an annual basis.
  4. An electronic request must be submitted to Umalusi by the Assessment Body after processing an application form. This request should be sent in a form of a dataset as stipulated by the Council.

It should be noted that the previous certificate is cancelled when a replacement certificate is issued. Should it happen that a candidate find a certificate that was lost/replaced, then the candidate should know that the certificate is invalid.

Please note the following important information:

A certificate cannot be issued on the same day that the application is submitted. The processing time is 1 – 6 weeks under normal circumstances.

A request for replacements of certificates obtained prior to November 1992 can be made from the office of any of the Departments of Education and the same procedure followed. However, it should be noted that this certificate will be printed by the relevant Assessment Body and not Umalusi. The processing time is 1 to 3 weeks under normal circumstances.

Contact details for the various provincial and National Departments are as follows:

Exam Centre
30 Durban Street
King Williams’s Town 5600
Tel: 043 604 7724
55 Elizabeth Street, 1st Floor
Fidel Castro Building,
Tel: 051 404 8252
111 Commissioner Street
Tel: 011 355 0611
72 Stanger Street
Malgate Building
Tel: 031 327 0312
Beta Building
SADC Street
Tel: 013 766 0051
Buckley road
Ex-Perseverance college
Tel: 053 839 6503
crn 113 Biccard & 24 Excelsior
Tel: 015 290 7740
90 Van Der Hoff
Tel : 018 388 0827
Grand Central Towers
Lower Parliament Street
cape town
Tel: 021 467 2936
222 Struben Street
Sol Plaatjie building
Pretoria Central
Tel: 012 357 3255
222 Struben Street
Sol Plaatjie building
Pretoria Central
Tel: 012 357 3255
278 Serene Street
Tel: 012 348 5650
I.E.BContact:  Kgomotso TauEmail:  011 483 9773