Provisional Licence for Learners

In the case of a provisional (or learners) licence:

  • The person concerned may not drive a motor vehicle carrying passengers and in respect of which a professional driving permit is required; and
  • The person concerned must be accompanied in or on that vehicle by, and be under the direct personal supervision of a person seated next to him or her, or immediately behind him or her, where such person cannot be seated next to him or her, and who is in possession of a licence, other than a learners or similar licence, authorising him or her to drive that class of motor vehicle. This is not applicable in the case where the provisional licence relates to a motor vehicle having no seating accommodation for a passenger or to a motor cycle. In the case of a goods vehicle in respect of which a professional driving permit is required, the person supervising the learner driver must also hold a valid professional driving permit; and
  • The person concerned may not drive a motor cycle while carrying another passenger.

Applying for the test

You can get a code 1 learner’s licence and drive a motorcycle up to 125cc at 16 years old.  You’re allowed to drive a motorcycle over 125cc at the age of 18 with a code 1 learner’s licence. For a car, minibus, small goods vehicle or bus (weighing less than 3 500 kg) you must be 17 years or older.

Once you have a learner’s licence, you may drive the type of vehicle for which the learner’s licence is valid. However, a licensed driver must accompany you at all times (except on a motorcycle). A learner driver may not carry another person on a motorcycle.

A code 2 licence will allow you to drive a light motor vehicle and a code 3 will allow you to drive a heavy motor vehicle.

When you apply to write the test, you will need to take the following to your nearest traffic department:

  • Your official South African identity document.
  • Two ID-sized black and white or colour photographs (35mm x 45mm).
  • The R68 application fee.
  • Proof of address (not older than three months).
  • If you are under 18 years old, you must have an adult confirm your address (parent/relative or whomever they are residing with ) in an affidavit signed and stamped at a SAPS office /Commissioner of Oaths.

Note: Motorists must verify all personal and address particulars with any motor vehicle or driving licence transaction.  These documents can be used as proof.

You will also need to complete the LL1 form, which will be provided by the traffic department. Remember to take a pen as most traffic departments don’t provide any.

Once you’ve submitted your form, you’ll be given a date for your test. You can only cancel this date if you are:

  • Sick (you’ll need to provide a medical certificate).
  • Attending a funeral (you’ll need to provide a death certificate).
  • Writing exams (you’ll have to provide a timetable).

The payment won’t be refunded if you cancel your appointment. If you’re not able to make your test, make sure to cancel it as this causes a backlog in the appointment system.

You need to pay R68 to make an appointment to write the learner’s licence test and R33 for the learner’s licence once you have passed the test.

Preparing for your test

In order to pass your learner’s test, you need to study and understand the rules of the road, road markings, road signs and the controls of a vehicle.

You can study in one or more of the following ways:

  • Study the K53 book, which you can buy or borrow from one of our public libraries. You can also download a K53 application (APP) to assist you.
  • When you’re out and about, try to properly identify road markings and signs. Don’t be afraid to ask a driver to explain a rule or road sign.
  • Go over practice test papers and mock tests that are available online.

You must also undergo an eye test.

A learner’s licence is valid for two years.

For more information contact:

Transport Administration and Licensing Helpdesk
Tel: 021 483 2080 / 2078 / 2469/ 0520/ 6401
Twitter: @WCGovTPW

On the day of the test

When you’ve made your appointment and received your test date, make sure you get to the venue 15 minutes before the time.

Remember to take:

  • Your appointment sheet
  • Your official identity document
  • Stationery is provided at the testing centre.

Once you have your learner’s licence, you may drive the type of vehicle that your licence is valid for, but you need to have a licensed driver with you at all times.

Your learner’s licence will be valid for two years.

Call or visit your local traffic department to get information about the application process.