Can my mum get paid for looking after my child?

There are certain circumstances in which a family member, including a grandparent, may be eligible to receive payment for looking after a child. Here are a couple of potential options:

  1. Family Tax Benefit (FTB) – Grandparent Child Care Benefit: If your child’s grandparent is providing formal childcare services and meets the eligibility criteria, they may be able to receive the Grandparent Child Care Benefit as part of the Family Tax Benefit. This benefit provides financial assistance to help cover the costs of formal childcare arrangements, including care provided by grandparents.
  2. In-Home Care: The In-Home Care program provides subsidized care for families who are unable to access other types of childcare due to various reasons, such as work hours, location, or the specific needs of the child. In certain cases, a grandparent may be eligible to become an approved In-Home Care provider and receive payment for looking after your child in your home.

It’s important to note that specific eligibility requirements and payment amounts can vary depending on the program and individual circumstances. It is recommended to visit the official website of Services Australia (Centrelink) or contact Centrelink directly to get the most up-to-date information regarding payment options for family members caring for a child. Centrelink can provide personalized guidance based on your specific situation and help determine the available options for financial support