University of Education, Winneba
Arms of the University of Education, Winneba
|Motto||Education for Service|
|Chancellor||Alhaji Asoma Banda|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Mawutor Avoke|
|Location||Winneba, Central Region, Ghana|
|Campus||Urban area / Suburban area
(Winneba, Kumasi, Mampong, Ajumako)
Scarlet, White and Ultramarine
The University of Education, Winneba (UEW) is a University in Winneba, Central Region of Ghana. Its main aim is to train teachers for the education system of Ghana. The University of Education, Winneba is charged with the responsibility of teacher education and producing professional educators to spearhead a new national vision of education aimed at redirecting Ghana’s efforts along the path of rapid economic and social development. The University of Education, Winneba is expected to play a leading role in Ghana’s drive to produce scholars whose knowledge would be fully responsive to the realities and exigencies of contemporary Ghana.
The university has twenty-nine academic departments and centres, seven faculties. It also has 18 distance education regional study centres throughout Ghana.
In addition to three campuses in Winneba where its administrative office is located, the University has three extra campuses in addition to over 20 study centres:
- The College of Technology Education – Kumasi Campus
- The College of Agriculture Education – Mampong Campus
- The College of Languages Education – Ajumako Campus
College of Agriculture Education – Mampong Campus
The Asante Mampong Campus hosts the College of Agriculture Education and is situated 51 kilometres north-east of Kumasi.
The Asante Mampong campus is the home of the Faculty of Agriculture Education, and the Faculty of Science and Environment Education.
Faculty of Agriculture Education
- Department of Agricultural Engineering
- Department of Animal Science Education
- Department of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Department of Soil and Crop Science Education
Faculty of Science and Environmental Education
- Department of Science Education
- Department of Environmental Health & Sanitation Science
College of Technology Education – Kumasi Campus
The Kumasi Campus which hosts the College of Technology Education is about 320 kilometres away from Winneba, the main campus.
The College is made up of the Faculty of Business Education, Faculty of Vocational and Technical Education and the Faculty of Education and Communication Sciences.
Faculty of Business Education
- Department of Business Education
- Department of Interdisciplinary Studies
Faculty of Vocational and Technology Education
- Department of Technology Education
- Department of Information Technology Education
Faculty of Educational Studies
- Department of Basic Education
- Department of Early Childhood Education
- Department of Psychology and Education
- Department of Special Education
College of Languages Education
The Ajumako Campus currently hosts the students of the Department of Akan-Nzema Education, Ewe Education, Ga–Dangme Education of The Faculty of Languages Education.
Gradually the Faculty of Languages Education will move from the Winneba Campus to the Ajumako Campus and will eventually become the College of Languages Education.
Faculty of Languages Education
- Department of Akan-Nzema Education
- Department of Applied Linguistics
- Department of English Education
- Department of French Education
- Department of Gur – Gonja Education
- Department of Ewe Education
The Winneba Campus – Main Campus
The Winneba Campus is the main campus of the University and is spread over three sites (North, Central and South) within the Effutu Municipality. The central Administration of the University is located at the South Campus. The Winneba Campus hosts the following Faculties, Schools, Institute, Centers and Offices:
Faculty of Science Education
- Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Sports Education
- Department of Home Economics
- Departments of Mathematics Education
- Department of Biology Education
- Department of Social Science Education
- Department of Social Studies Education
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Health Administration and Education
Institutes and schools
School of Creative Arts
- Department of Art Education
- Department of Graphic Design
- Department of Music School
- Department of Theatre Arts
Institute for Educational Development and Extension
- Center for Continuing Education
- Center for Distance Education
- Center for Teacher Development and Action Research
Institutes for Educational Research and Innovation Studies (IERIS)
- National Center for Research into Basic Education (NCRIBE)
- Center for Educational Policy Studies (CEPS)
- Center for School and Community Science and Technology Studies (SACOST)
It is a multi-campus, multi-site university. It has five campuses, Three at Winneba and one at Ajumako in Central Ghana, and the other two at Kumasi and Mampong all in the Ashanti Region.
As a multi-campus, multi-site university with campuses and learning centres in other parts of the country, UEW has six Faculties, one institute and two centres of the university provide programmes in the areas of Science and Mathematics Education, Technology and Business Education, Agriculture Education, Home Economics Education, Cultural Studies, Creative Arts Education, Guidance and Counselling and Educational Administration and Leadership.