About Catholic University College of Ghana
Catholic University students pursue varied programmes on Full-time and Weekend schedules. CUCG run Night School Programme from 2005 with BSc. Economics and Business Administration and introduced BSc. Public Health in 2008 until the programme was faced out at the end of the 2011/2012 academic year. Degree programmes are offered in five Faculties with options available to students.
The Faculties are:
- Economics and Business Administration- EBA (BSc. Economics and Business Administration with options in: Management, Accounting, and Economics)
- Public Health and Allied Sciences- PHAS (BSc. Public Health with options in Health Education, Health Informatics, and Health Management
- Information Communication Sciences and Technology- ICST (BSc. Computer Science; BSc. Actuarial Science; BSc. Mathematics with Finance and BSc. Mathematics with Economics)
- Education- EDU (BEd. Arts with options in English, History and Christian Religious Studies BEd. Geography, BEd. Accounting, BEd. Mathematics and BEd. Computer Science.
- Religious Studies- RS (BA Religious Studies)
The University offers Master of Arts (MA) in Religious Studies and Pastoral Ministry as well as Post-graduate Diploma in Education.
The Faculties are headed by the following:
- Mr. George Compah-Keyeke (MBA) is the Ag. Dean of the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration (E&BA). [Prof. Ebow Mensah was the first Dean of this faculty until 2011/2012 academic year ending 30th June, 2012.]
- Msgr. Dr. Stephen Ntim (PhD) is the Acting Dean of the Faculty of Education.
- Rev. Fr. Dr. Patrick Nkrumah (PhD) is the Dean of the Faculty of Religious Studies.
- Fr. Dr. Peter Nkrumah Amponsah (PhD) is the Acting Dean of the Faculty of Information and Communication Sciences and Technology (ICST) since 1st July, 2010. [Prof. Yeboah Amankwah was the first Dean of this faculty until 2004/2005 academic year. Mr. Patrick Ohemeng Gyaase then became the Acting Dean from 1st February, 2005 until 30th June, 2010.]
- Kofi Bobi Barimah, (PhD) is the Acting Dean of the Public Health and Allied Sciences (PHAS).
- Dr. Anthony Bonnah Koomson (PhD) is the Acting Dean of the School of Research and Graduate Studies (SRGS).
In the near future, programmes such as BSc. Nursing; BSc. Environmental Science; BSc. Agriculture Science; and LLB Alternative Dispute Resolution would be introduced.
Significance of the University:
Catholic University College of Ghana, Fiapre, has impacted positively on the lives of the people in the community in particular, the region in general and the country at large. The establishment of the University College has created enabling environment for diverse economic activities among the people of Fiapre, Sunyani and the catchment: it has improved the economic activities of trotro and taxi drivers. Consequently, it has increased demand for rent, food, telecommunication services, etc. The University continues to offer employment opportunities to people by facilitating self-employment ingenuity for artisans like carpenters, masons, electricians, mechanical engineers, etc.
Furthermore, in knowledge wise, the University continues to offer opportunities for workers alike to upgrade themselves and acquire holistic education to improve their services. Indeed, the Catholic University has offered relief for many students in the region who, hitherto, would have travelled far and wide to receive some tertiary level education elsewhere in Accra, Kumasi, etc. About 50% of the over 4,500 students are from the Brong-Ahafo Region in particular.
Again, the University is contributing immensely, in partnership with the government, to offer access to tertiary education for qualified candidates to acquire knowledge and skills to contribute effectively, efficiently and positively to the socio-economic, political, moral and religious growth and development of the region and the country at large. The University, since its establishment, has produced eight batches of graduates whose contributions in their various fields of endeavours are remarkably acknowledged by their employers, clients and society.
Future Development and Prospects:
Currently, work on the main Administration block is far advanced. Twenty-one staff bungalows of different categories are under construction. Three clusters of hostel blocks for students’ habitation are currently occupied. In the near future, the University will witness the completion of the other cluster of hostel block and the construction of science laboratories, recreational facilities and a chapel.
The employment of best human resources to facilitate the achievement of its mission is very necessary. The Catholic University College of Ghana stands tall among her sister tertiary institutions in Ghana and intends to provide holistic education accessible to all, irrespective of race, tribe, religion or financial status. CUCG is a centre of Moral and academic excellence; a citadel of holistic
tertiary education. Hence, moderate fees are charged to enable parents/guardians and individuals to afford quality education for their children, wards and themselves.
These include inadequate logistics for the desired expectations; poor access road to campus; and inadequate financial disposition to enhance its activities. The University needs more computers and accessories, relevant course books at the library, projectors, acoustic accessories to ensure effective communication during lectures to achieve the desired teaching and learning objectives, etc.
Appeal for Support:
It is the hope and prayer of the sacrificing staff and students that the government, organizations, friends of Catholic University, and corporate bodies will give attention to the clarion call of the University and offer the necessary financial, technical, and material supports. Basically, investment is needed in the following areas:
- Construction of private hostels for students
- Construction of the access road to campus
- Investment in banking, postal, communication services, etc.
- Provision of services such as supermarkets, pharmacies, saloons, etc.
The assistance you offer today will yield greater results in the future of the students and the betterment of society. God bless you for your good thoughts and prayers.
Please, send your contributions, donations, material support, etc through the contacts below and you will be acknowledged and blessed: